Get your day by day, bite-sized digest of cryptoasset and blockchain-related information – investigating the tales flying underneath the radar of at the moment’s crypto information.
- Primary cryptocurrency by market capitalization, bitcoin (BTC), has reached USD 24,603 at the moment, setting a brand new all-time-high, based on Coinpaprika.com. It pulled again considerably since, standing at USD 24,148 on the time of writing (15:20 UTC).
- Grayscale Funding Holdings at the moment holds USD 16.33bn value of belongings underneath administration, with USD 14.25bn in bitcoin. according to bybt.com, a web site that tracks Grayscale holdings. In the meantime, digital belongings firm BitGo just lately announced that it too holds USD 16bn in digital belongings underneath custody.
- Decentralized finance (DeFi) platform 1inch has launched a governance and utility token – the 1INCH token, used for each the platform’s automated market maker protocol and its decentralized trade aggregator service. Per the announcement, 1inch Community will now be ruled by a DAO, and with it, the 1inch Basis launched their Aggregation Governance module, a Liquidity Protocol Governance module, and the 1INCH TOKEN Liquidity Mining Program. Moreover, all wallets registered earlier than December 24 will obtain 1INCH tokens so long as they meet one of many said situations.
- Russian cryptocurrency trade Livecoin has been hacked. It stated it misplaced management of all their servers and nodes, stating that they’re “not capable of cease our service in time.” Due to this fact, they requested their shoppers to cease making deposits, and to halt all buying and selling and interplay with the trade. “We’re underneath a fastidiously deliberate assault, which has been ready, as we assume, over the previous couple of months,” the web site at the moment says. Hackers gained entry to the Livecoin portal and modified trade charges to 10-15 occasions their regular values, ZDNet reported. Some Reddit customers urged this might be an exit rip-off.
- Following the December 21 attack, which compelled crypto trade Exmo to droop all withdrawals, they announced that enabling of deposits and withdrawals for foremost cryptocurrencies is tentatively scheduled for December 25-26, when customers should generate a brand new pockets tackle. In the meantime, the trade claimed that about USD 4m of crypto stolen within the hack that value it c. 5% of its whole belongings was allegedly withdrawn via Poloniex, which Poloniex denied to Cointelegraph.
- The U.S. Securities and Trade Fee (SEC) ordered information verification startup Tierion to pay again buyers in its TNT tokens after discovering that its USD 25m preliminary coin providing (ICO) violated securities legal guidelines. Per the announcement, Tierion should disable buying and selling of TNT, and it should pay the SEC USD 250,000 in penalties.
- Crypto-sceptic Nouriel Roubini called Jake Chervinsky, Normal Counsel at Compound Finance, “delusional” following the latter’s tweet during which he argued that there is “precisely zero likelihood” that concept of stablecoin funds implementing on-chain Anti-Cash Laundering (AML) and Know-Your-Buyer (KYC) identification processes will develop into an enforceable regulation any time quickly. Roubini stated that incoming U.S. president Joe Biden and his staff will really be a lot harder than Donald Trump in controlling cryptocurrency and “will crack down on this prison tax evading & AML-KYC-TFC-evading crypto/shitcoins cesspool way more than [Steven] Mnuchin.”
- Ethereum (ETH) developer Virgil Griffith, who was arrested in November 2019 on fees of conspiracy to help North Korea in using cryptocurrency, might not have technically violated the regulation no matter his intentions on the time, stated a Manhattan federal choose, as reported by Law360. A trial has been tentatively scheduled for September 2021.